10 Automotive Maintenance Tips Every Driver Should Know
Knowing the do’s and don’ts of car maintenance will help you to stay safe and save money. Although following your automotive maintenance schedule should be at the top of your to-do list, you can take action to keep your car in great shape between service appointments! Read below for our top ten auto maintenance tips that every The Villages driver should know.
Do’s and Don’ts of Car Maintenance
- DO know your manual. Your owner’s manual will tell you just about everything you need to know about your car, from what oil to buy to how to reset your tire pressure monitoring system.
- DO regularly inspect your vehicle. Your car is due for maintenance and inspections on a regular basis, but you can catch potential problems even earlier by making a few basic checks in between service appointments. Be on the lookout for fluid leaks, unusually low tire pressure, and uneven tread wear.
- DO check your tire pressure. If your car doesn’t have a TPMS, invest in a tire pressure gauge.
- DO check your tire tread wear. You can use a penny to determine the level of tread wear. Slide the edge of a penny into the treads with the top of Lincoln’s head toward the tire. If you can see all of the head, the treads have worn too shallow and the tires need to be replaced.
- DO check the engine oil level. Engine oil reduces friction and prevents your engine from overheating. Use the owner’s manual to locate the dipstick so you can check the oil levels.
- DON’T forget to check the engine oil color. If you do a lot of off-roading, your engine oil may need to be replaced more often. When checking the oil level, take a quick look at the color and condition of the oil. If it’s unusually dark or contaminated with particles, you should schedule service for an oil change.
- DO check the engine coolant level. Your owner’s manual can tell you where to find your vehicle’s coolant reservoir. Check that the coolant level is where it needs to be, and top it off if necessary.
- DON’T forget about the engine air filter. While you’re checking the oil and coolant, take a look at the engine filter.If it’s clogged with debris, follow the directions in your manual for how to replace it.
- DON’T assume that premium fuel is best for your car. Premiumfuel is good for high-performance models but it may or may not be a good choice for your car. Check your owner’s manual for your vehicle’s recommended octane rating.
- DO check your headlights for dimming bulbs. Routinely test each bulb and replace those that aren’t shining as brightly as they should.
- DON’T wait for your windshield wipers to break before replacing them. Over time, windshield wipers lose their ability to keep your windshield clean. Replace them as soon as you notice persistent streaking and fogginess, rather than waiting for them to break.
- DO follow your automotive maintenance schedule. Every vehicle comes with a manufacturer-recommended automotive maintenance schedule, designed to keep it running smoothly for as long as possible. Follow it to keep your car in great shape for years to come!
Visit Buick, GMC for More Automotive Maintenance Tips
Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have about following your automotive maintenance schedule, how to check your oil and fluid levels at home, and more. Check out our current service offers to save at your next appointment, whether your car needs an oil change, a tire rotation, or other key services. Contact us today for more information!
More from Sullivan Buick GMC
Gas prices have been on the rise for months and we’re not sure when they’ll go back down. That’s why it’s important to have a vehicle that has an impressive fuel economy in The Villages. Finding a spacious SUV that’s fuel efficient may seem impossible, but we made it easy for you. The 2023 Buick…
The Buick Encore GX is a sporty compact SUV that packs a lot of power into a small frame. Its size makes it easy to maneuver around tight corners and into narrow parking spots, while its robust ECOTEC engine churns out impressive performance specs on the The Villages roads. The Encore GX starts at $25,900…
How much does the 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 cost for the 2023 model year? That depends which of the 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 configurations you choose for your The Villages and Williston adventures. The latest lineup gives Dunnellon drivers a whopping eight trim levels to explore. From the well-balanced Pro to the opulent Denali Ultimate,…